When you have a furnace for your home heating system, it is easy to see why they are so popular. From their energy efficiency to their heating power, these systems are well-known for being great providers of comfort, because they are!
Now, when you have a furnace, you will need to make sure it is taken care of with regular maintenance and timely repairs when needed. Even with careful care, however, there will come a day that your system needs to be replaced.
The issue that we want to raise is this: do you know how to tell the difference between a furnace that needs furnace repair in Spokane Valley, WA and one that should be replaced? We’re asking because it is pretty important. You don’t want to waste money on a failing furnace that needs an upgrade but you also want to avoid too early of a replacement.
You May Need Repairs If…
First things first, let’s look at what the signs are that you have a furnace in need of repairs. The indicators below should tell you when it is time to schedule a fix:
- Noises: We know furnaces don’t run silently, but there are certain noises that should concern you. If you hear sounds like rattling, loud hissing, clanking, screeching or booming, you’ll want to schedule repairs.
- Smells: Are you smelling a slight burning smell from your furnace? This could be the scent of your furnace burning a build-up of dust within the system, or it could indicate burning electrical components. Get this issue addressed sooner than later.
- Heating Troubles: Is the airflow from your vents reduced in some rooms? Or maybe you’ve noticed that the airflow is strong but colder than you’d like. The first indicates issues with a blower motor or build-up in your ducts while the latter is telling you that your furnace is struggling to produce heat. Don’t delay on getting these problems fixed.
You May Need a Replacement If…
If your furnace is struggling more than usual, you may need more than just repairs. Consider a replacement if you notice the following:
- Age: If your furnace is up to 15 years old or more, you’ll want to start planning for a replacement in the near future.
- Costs: Did you get a repair bill that is exceedingly high? A good rule of thumb to remember is that if your furnace repair costs equal to or more than half the cost of a new system, its best to just bite the bullet and get a replacement.
Maybe you have an older furnace that is still running reliably, or perhaps your somewhat new system is faltering and you aren’t sure how to proceed. At the end of the day, if you aren’t sure whether you need a repair for your furnace, or you need to replace it altogether, it is best to rely on the guidance of a professional.
ACI Northwest is here to help with your home comfort needs or concerns. Please do not hesitate to contact us for helpful advice. Click or call today to schedule your next furnace service with our team.