Interested in a Career Path in the Trades?
Why Choose a Career in the Trades?
A career in the Trades can be very lucrative and fulfilling whether you work at ACI Northwest or elsewhere.
What are the Trades?
Here we will refer to the Trades as working in the fields of HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) or Electrical. It can also mean a career in construction or plumbing as well.
What outlook is there on employment in the Trades in the near future?
The outlook is really good!
- Mike Rowe was featured in an HVACRBusiness article discussing the need to fill the immense need for workers skilled in the trades.
- There is a huge gap between the available technicians and the need for those technicians in the field of HVAC and Electrical.
- People are retiring faster than new workers are coming into the workforce for this vocation.
Would I be able to make a living following a career path in the Trades?
You can definitely make good money in the trades as an Electrician or as an HVAC Technician! Generally the more experience and the more certifications you gain, the more take home pay you will have.
I am a veteran. Are there resources available for me?
First of all, thank you for your service to our country. The first resource we would like to share is Troops to Trades. Also, you may want to look at USA JOBS.
I am just starting out, but I am very interested in starting a career in the Trades. What do I do?
- Find the Best Skilled Trades Opportunities.
- You can also join a group to connect with people wanting to start out in the trades.
Are there some local schools or training programs I can check out?
Of course, there are. Please see the following tradeschools that we have reached out to see if they would partner with us to encourage people that are discerning their career path.
Careers in Civil Construction
Inland Pacific ABC:
- Find out more at the Inland Pacific Association of Builders and Contractors
Inland Northwest AGC:
- Find out more about apprenticeships at the Inland Northwest Chapter Associated General Contractors of America website
Careers in HVAC
- Spokane Community College, or SSC:
- The SSC is one of the largest community colleges in the state of Washington and offers a variety of educational opportunities. SSC offers a Associate in Applied Science - Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration. SSC also has an Electrical Maintenance and Automation Program , but they mostly teach students how to be industrial electricians.
- North Idaho College Workforce Training Center, or NIC:
- The North Idaho College Workforce Training Center is for everyone who wants to get training to start a career in the trades. Classes include Apprenticeship Information for Electrical, Plumbing, and HVAC.
- Inland Northwest HVAC/R Association and Training Center:
- Find out more about the training program at the Inland Northwest HVAC/R Association and Training Center to become an HVAC tech in 9 months. They boast a 97% placement rate since 2011. Federal Financial Aid is available.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out by email and ACI Northwest will be more than happy to answer all your questions.