Boilers provide consistent and comfortable heat for many homeowners throughout the Hayden, ID area. In fact, boilers are one of the most common heating systems in the entire country. As opposed to forced air systems like furnaces, boilers use a series of hot water radiators or in-floor pipes to provide heat. Like all things that carry water your boiler will eventually need repairs. Perhaps one of the most common boiler repairs in Hayden, ID is a leak. At ACI Northwest, we’ve responded to many calls for boiler repair and wanted to share some insight on boiler leaks.
How Boilers Work
One of the best ways to know if your boiler is leaking is to understand how it’s supposed to work. While boilers are fairly complex pieces of equipment, their basic operation is pretty simple. The boiler heats up water—though it doesn’t actually boil the water—using a burner very similar to your hot water heater. A pump then circulates that hot water throughout your house. If you have radiators in your room then they are responsible for distributing the heat into your home. For floor heaters, a series of coils in your floor carry the hot water and provide heat.
Common Boiler Leaks
These are a few of the most common places for your boiler to leak.
- The pump – When your boiler is turned on, the pump is working constantly. It has to circulate all of the water throughout your home. It isn’t uncommon for the pump valve or seal to break down and allow water to leak out.
- Expansion tank – Your boiler has an expansion tank that allows it to compensate for the expansion of the water at high temperatures. If the expansion tank is old or rusting it could spring a leak.
- Pipes – Any of the pipes leading into or out of your boiler could potentially leak.
- Boiler tank itself – Another common place for leaks is from the boiler tank. If it has started to rust or if the pressure inside the tank is too high it could cause leaks.
- Pressure relief valve – Your boiler should have a pressure relief valve on it that allows your boiler to safely expel water or air inside of it. If the pressure starts to build up too much the relief valve will allow water to leak out.
If you have a boiler leak or need boiler repairs, call the Hayden, ID heating experts at ACI Northwest. Contact ACI Northwest today!