Congratulations on your decision to get a hot tub! What a wonderful addition that will be to your home. But first, you need to make some more important decisions. Who will install your hot tub? Can you do it yourself? For many reasons, this is a job for a qualified electrician. Here’s why.
The Risks of Amateur Hot Tub Installation
When considering whether to DIY a job around the house or enlist the help of a professional, one of the most important factors to weigh is what the risks are if doing it yourself goes badly. There are a few aspects of risk to keep in mind: safety, potential damage, and additional cost. Here are some of the risks you would face if you chose to install your hot tub yourself or if you hired an amateur to help you.
- Safety: The hazard of electric shock should never be taken lightly. When it comes to any appliance that has electrical components, and especially the installation of equipment that involves connecting directly to your home’s wiring, only a person with extensive training and experience can do the job safely.
- Potential Damage: Amateur electrical work can lead to other terrifying outcomes in addition to immediate electric shock and one of the worst is electrical fires. This kind of damage could destroy your home. It makes the other risks, like water damage and subsequent mold infestation from a poorly installed hot tub, seem minor in comparison.
- Additional Cost: Any amount of money you invest in a DIY project or pay to an amateur is wasted as soon as you realize you need to call in a professional to do the job properly. But worse than that, if you damage the hot tub or any of its components, you may end up needing to replace them.
- The Warranty: And finally, your hot tub probably came with a warranty, and most warranty agreements require that the installation be done by a professional. Voiding your warranty before you even get to use your hot tub would mean sacrificing the money-saving benefit of having the manufacturer potentially pay for parts or repairs at some point in the future.
The Benefits of Professional Installation by an Electrician
In addition to avoiding those risks, there are other benefits to working with a qualified electrician in the process of getting your hot tub installed.
- Knowledge of Legal Requirements: Local electrical codes are there for safety reasons, and your electrician will know them and be prepared to comply with them. The benefit here is not just safety-related, though. If, for example, you ever sell or rent your home, it will need to be inspected, and failure to meet these codes could cause hassle and expense then.
- Streamlining the Process: Because of your electrician’s training and experience in hot tub installation in Coeur d’Alene, ID, they will not have to take their time and figure things out as they go. The whole process will be as straightforward and quick as possible.
- Decreasing Repair Needs: When tiny things go wrong with an amateur installation, they might not be spotted right away. But these little errors can lead to growing problems. Amateur installation is one of the leading causes of the need for repairs of any appliance.
Make sure your new hot tub experience is one of enjoyment, not disappointment, by relying on a professional electrician for installation.
ACI Northwest is here to help with your hot tub installation. Contact us today.